The RYA Competent Crew course is the essential starting point for an absolute beginner or those who have done a small amount of sailing. You will be taught the fundamentals of crewing as well as how to live in the environment of a cruising yacht. Travelling to beautiful harbours and anchorages your fully qualified instructor will devout plenty of time to your individual needs. Upon successful completion of the course, you will have become a competent and confident member of the crew and be an asset to any crew you join.
Run over 6 days rather than the RYA minimum of 5 days, this course allows plenty of time for relaxing, swimming and enjoying the Turkish coastline and hospitality. Saturday to Friday inclusive
INSTRUCTOR – STUDENT RATIO
Minimum 2, maximum 4 students to 1 Instructor and boat.
No prior boating experience is necessary.
IS THERE AN END OF COURSE ASSESSMENT?
No. The Instructor runs through each of the modules of the course ensuring that you understand each as you progress.
The course costs £795 per person and includes one nights accommodation on board, bedding, towels, safety equipment, tuition, RYA logbook & Certification.
Not Included: Transit Log & Fuel (compulsory) £180 per boat shared between students, food & drink, travel to/from venue, Turkish visa if required, instructors food and drink (to be provided at students expense)
HOW DO I BOOK THE COURSE?
Courses are scheduled weekly all year, so if you are keen to consider this course please either give us a call on +90 535 613 8110 to chat through possible dates or email us at email@example.com or via the ‘Contact Us’ form
WHAT WILL BE COVERED ON THE COURSE?
Your instructor will cover the following topics with you during your time with him/her:
- Basic sea terms and parts of boat
- Sail Handling
- Safety Precautions
- Safety/Emergency Equipment
- Steering under power and sail
- Rules of the road
- Manners and Customs
- Man overboard
- Weather forecasts
- Clothing and Equipment
- Undertaking a passage
- General Duties
Competent Crew Syllabus
The Competent Crew course introduces the complete beginner to cruising and teaches personal safety, seamanship and helmsmanship to the level required to be a useful member of crew of a cruising yacht and is a pre requisite to attending an RYA Day Skipper practical course
1. Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sufficient knowledge to understand orders given concerning the sailing and day to day running of the boat.
2. Sail Handling
- Bending on, setting, reefing and handling of sails
- Use of sheets and halyards and their associated winches
- Handling ropes, including coiling, stowing, securing to cleats and single and double bollards
- Handling warps
- Ability to tie the following knots and to know their correct use: figure-of-eight, clove hitch, rolling hitch, bowline, round turn and two half hitches, single and double sheet bend, reef knot
4. Fire precautions and fighting
- Awareness of the hazards of fire and the precautions necessary to prevent fire. Knowledge of the action to be taken in the event of fire
5. Personal safety equipment
- Understands and complies with rules for the wearing of safety harnesses, lifejackets and personal buoyancy aids
6. Man overboard
- Understands the action to be taken to recover a man overboard
7. Emergency equipment
- Can operate distress flares and knows when they should be used
- Understands how to launch and board a liferaft
8. Manners and customs
- Understands accepted practice with regard to: use of burgees and ensigns, prevention of unnecessary noise or disturbance in harbour including courtesies to other craft berthed
- Aware of the responsibility of yacht skippers to protect the environment
9. Rules of the road
- Is able to keep a safe and efficient lookout at sea
- Understands and complies with the loading rules.
- Is able to handle a dinghy under oars
- Awareness of forecasting services and knowledge of the Beaufort scale
- Working efficiency is unaffected/partially affected/severely affected by seasickness
13. Helmsmanship and sailing
- Understands the basic principles of sailing and can steer and trim sails on all points of sailing
- Can steer a compass course, under sail and power
14. General duties
- Has carried out general duties satisfactorily on deck and below decks in connection with the daily routine of the vessel
Weekends: 3 weekends starting 18:30 on Friday until approximately 16:00 on Sunday .
Weeks: 16:00 Saturday until approximately mid to late morning Friday. Students may stay on board until Saturday morning by arrangement, please advise the office when making your booking.
Accommodation on board, Bedding, Towels, Safety Equipment, Tuition, Logbook, Certification.
Transit Log & Fuel (compulsory) £180 per boat shared between students, food & drink, travel to/from venue, Turkish visa if required, Instructors food and drink (to be provided at students expense)